Any man can be a father, it takes someone special to be a dad.

Friday 1 December 2006

Family Values

Don't want to sound like an old prude or anything but I feel like I am in the minority when I say we eat as a family at the dinner table.

Even before we started BLW, if BB was awake we would sit her at the table with us in her highchair with a toy.

I think it's extremely important to have the whole family sat at the table to eat dinner. It's the one time in the day when we can all sit and talk about our days etc. That's another reason why BLW is so great because we can all eat at the same time... no spooning feeding the baby then eating my dinner. It's fab for BB too as she can learn how to eat by watching us and copying what we do. Also good for social skills.

I also know of some families that cook for the children and then cook again later for the parents everyday. I pleased DS eats whatever we do, no special "kids meals" it means we all sit together. Occassionally DF and I eat alone for some quality time but that's a different thing but mostly if we want quality time we get a babysitter!

Am I the only 21st century mum that still feel likes this? would be interested to know your views too so leave a comment if you will!!!

5 comments:

chardalmum said...

I agree - it's so important for families to eat together. Growing up we just ate in front of the telly and on Friday night we had one meal together that ended arguing usually - but now me and dh eat together every night and when ds is old enough to be awake that late he will join us!

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

I agree that it is lovely to eat at a table together. Baby G & I eat our lunch together every day, and I have a cup of tea and sit with him at breakfast (usually share a bit of fruit too).

We don't eat an evening meal together yet, as Baby G has his last BLW meal of the day between 4 & 5 - which is a bit early for me - lol.

Sundays we try and have a late lunch together, and will eventually eat together more.

When I was little mealtimes were all taken at the table, no tv etc etc. You are deffo not alone!

Love

Mel x

Anonymous said...

I agree - we always eat together at dinner time. I am lazy though as I can only be bothered to cook one meal lol.
We are lucky too as Dh comes in for lunch and all 3 boys eat their breakfast together. (I dont have time to sit down though as am rushing around trying to do lunches and get us all out the door!!!)

Hannah Walker said...

Lol Sarah... We eat breakfast in shifts! It's almost impossible in this house... We all have to be out a different times. WHen i first started back at work I tried making lunches the night before but that just doesn't happen anymore! lol! Suppose once we introduce more meals for BB we will have to all get up ealier (or me anyway!)

Anonymous said...

Hannah, totally agree with you. We eat with our ds at 5.30pm its that important to us. And I have lunch & breakfast with him every day.

DD joins us in her highchair. If she's already had her meal then I give her some finger food or some of whatever we are having so she is munching along with us.